Lesson 1: Who is Jesus Christ?
- Introduce the Main Idea:
The purpose of this lesson is to understand clearly who Jesus is to a Christian.
We learn about who Jesus is from the History, the Bible, and personal experience.
- Jesus in History:
- Ask: Who knows what one universal fact that proves Jesus existence in history? (Answer: 2020 is counted from the year historian calculated of Jesus's birth)
Jesus's birth is the AD and BC timeline in human history.
- Ask: What other historical facts points to Jesus's existence?
- Tacitus - Roman historian mentioned Jesus and the persecuted Christians under Nero's Empire - http://bib.irr.org/tacitus-suetonius-and-historical-jesus - AD64
- Suetonius - Roman historian also mentioned Jesus and the Christians during the time of Emperor Claudius (AD 41-54)
- Pliny the Younger - Roman Governor of Bithy
- Jesus in the Bible:
- OT Prophecies: See web link lesson (Birth place, manner of death, resurrection) very specific.
- Jesus's claim that He is God
- Jesus performed miracles proving that He is God:
- Power over nature: Turn water into wine, multiply food (out of nothing)
Ask: Any more you can think of? (Walk on water & calm the storm)
- Power over disease - recall the events
- Power over the spirit - Cast out demons
- Power to give life - raised the dead
- Jesus resurrected bodily - He ate with the disciple after resurrection
- Life Application - See web link lesson